Extended Hand To Big Toe Pose Utthita Hasta Padangustasana
Step by step
• Start in Mountain pose (Tadasana).
• Take a point at eye level to focus on with a soft gaze.
• On an exhalation, bring the weight on your left foot and lift your right knee up. Reach with your right hand for your big toe.
• Firm your left hip in and lengthen your spine. Keep your shoulders blades firmly on the back, and your chest open. As you inhale, start extending your right leg out to the front, without compromising the length in spine.
• Stay for about 5 breaths, then as you inhale, bring your leg out to the right and stay for 5 more breaths.
• To come out of the pose, on an inhalation, bring your leg back to the centre. As you exhale lower the foot back to the floor.
• Repeat on the other side.
Beginners tips • Work on your balance first with Tree pose.
• If you have tight hamstrings, keep the lifted knee bent instead of straightening the leg out. This is also your option if your back rounds when you straighten the leg.
• Keeps the hips and hamstrings flexible.
• Strengthens the legs, ankles and core muscles.
• Improves concentration and focus.
• Improves balance and stability.
Watch out for...
• Focus on keeping your spine long and your chest open, rather than on bringing the knees to the floor
• Keep breathing towards the stretched area
• Try using a strap looped around the sole of your foot instead of hooking your big toe with your fingers and thumb.
• To extend this pose for a longer period, use a wall as a prop. Press your raised heel firmly into the wall, keeping your leg active.
• Try the pose lying down in Reclined Big Toe pose / Supta Padangusthasana.
Supine Variation Reclined Big Toe Pose Supta Padangusthasana
Beginner Option Tree Pose Vrksasana
If you have any questions about Lotus Leaf Yoga, please don't hesitate to get in touch and I'll be happy to help. firstname.lastname@example.org text: 07 514 777 777