• Stretches the hips, thighs, lower back, ankles and knees
• Helps relieve fatigue
• Calms the mind and the body • Can be used as a resting pose any time.
Step by Step
• Sit on your heels, knees spread mat distance apart and bring your head towards the floor
• Your arms can be either stretched out to the front, by your side or hands underneath your forehead
• Breathe into your lower back
• Stay for anywhere between 30 seconds and several minutes in this resting pose
• To come out, exhale and roll up vertebra by vertebra, or come back to sitting with a straight spine
• Child's pose is about being comfortable and rested as well as increasing flexibility in the hips and back.
• Many people find it more comfortable to take the knees wider (to the width of a yoga mat). This also creates more space if you have a larger belly or breasts.
• Use props or stack your fists to support your forehead if it doesn't reach the floor comfortably
• Use padding under your knees or ankles if you need to.
• If you have knee or ankle injuries you may prefer to substitute Childs pose with a different resting pose such as Savasana / Corpse Pose • If you feel compression or discomfort in your hips - or if you feel any constriction in the pose, try a wider-legged variation or substitute with a pose on your back like Reclined Butterfly pose
• Try the side stretch variation: start in Child’s pose with your arms extended forward. On an out-breath, walk your hands towards one side until you feel a comfortable stretch. Stay for 3 to 5 breaths, then on an in-breath walk your hands back and repeat on the other side
• Make it even more restorative by using a bolster or a couple of pillows to completely support your weight
• For a visual aid check out our article on different Child Pose modifications.
Complementary pose Easy Pose Sukhasana
Alternative Pose Happy Baby Pose Ananda Balasana
If you have any questions about Lotus Leaf Yoga, please don't hesitate to get in touch and I'll be happy to help. firstname.lastname@example.org text: 07 514 777 777